THE CDC REPORTS THAT 1 in 5 children (between ages 5 and 11) in the US have untreated tooth decay. It also ranks Tennessee high among children with tooth decay. Not only should tooth decay be treated in regular dental appointments, but it should also be prevented! Tooth decay is 100 percent preventable with effective personal care and regular dental cleanings.
In honor of Children’s Dental Health Month, we’re spreading the word about children’s dental health.
YOU Can Help Little Ones Have Healthier Smiles!
- Encourage them to brush for two full minutes: Pick a song about two minutes long and sing it to them during brushing time.
- Set reminders to brush twice a day: Brushing after breakfast and just before bed are the best times for preventing bacteria growth from food.
- Show them flossing is fun, not harmful: Be gentle at first when doing it for them. A bad experience can stop them from flossing on their own.
- Be persistent: Don’t let fussy children off the hook. Be motivating! Kids may gladly brush for a sticker or star if you make it an activity.
- Set their first dental appointment before age 1: Having positive dental experiences early will make dental visits easier and less frightening when older.
We have a lot of experience with children at McOmie Family Dentistry. When we say the word family we mean the entire family can come here. From the cradle to the grave, so to speak, young and old we are comprehensive. Our doctors and staff have gone to many schools, churches, Boy and Girl Scout troops, etc over the years to talk about dentistry.
We have so much fun with our young patients. It has become common for kids to think coming to McOmie Family Dentistry is really a treat and not something they have to do. It is something they get to do instead. Come see how our Chattanooga dental office handles kids you will like what you see we promise.
Sealants, fluoride treatments, regular cleanings should be on every parent’s list of regular things when it comes to kids. Our goal is to NEVER have a child have a cavity. This is preventable and we aim for 100%. But if the unthinkable happens and there is a tooth with a cavity we can fix that in an a-traumatic way that will keep your child smiling the entire time.
Help Us Spread The Word!
Give us a call if you need a speaker for your child’s school or to make an appointment at McOmie Family Dentistry 423-899-1112. Share this message with your friends and family, and especially with the children in your life. If you have any questions about children’s dental health, don’t hesitate to ask us!